Jumat, 30 Maret 2012

Adjec. Clauses

(a). A clause is...
a group of words containing a subject and a verb.
(b). An independent clause is a complete sentence. it contains the main subject and verb of a sentence.
(c). A dependent clause is not a complete sentence. It must be connected to an independent clause.
(d). An adjective clause is a dependent clause which modifies a noun. It describes, identifies, or gives further information about a noun. (an adjective clause is also called relative clause).

Using Subject Pronouns : Who, Which, That
ex. I thanked the woman. (an independent clause)
      She helped me. ( an adjective clause)
      (a). I thanked the woman who helped me.
      (b). I thanked the woman that helped me.
ex. The book is mine.
      It is on the table.
      (c). The book which is on the table is mine.
      (d). The book that is on the table is mine.

who : used for people
which : used for things
that : used for both people and things.

Exercise : Combine the two sentences. Use the second sentence as an adjective clause.

1. I saw the man. He closed the door.
2. The girl is happy. She won the race.
3. The student is from China. He sits next to me.
4. We are studying sentences. They contain adjective clauses.
5. The students are from China. They sit in the front row.
6. I am using a sentence. It contains an adjective clause.

3 komentar:


Rose